Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Yes, I Baby Wear

I am far from crunchy. I am overweight, I like meat, and I use disposable diapers. About the only thing that would make me remotely comparably crunchy, to my friends, is my need and want to recycle, and UpCycle, use of reusable bags, breastfeeding (past a year) and baby wearing. So, I say I am a pretty normal person.

So why is it when I wear on of the two little ones, there are looks, stares, comments and questions? OH the comments and questions. Here are a few of my favorite ones that I have gotten. “Baby doesn't like that.” “Shame on you for putting baby on your back.” "They look so dangerous! “ “How can that be comfortable?” “Your going to delay her walking carrying her all the time.” “Your baby is spoiled (because you wear them)” Oh and my favorite from my sons youth minister I got one Saturday, “They have a group for that?” While laughing. I am sure that some of you have heard worse.

When I first thought of typing this post, I wanted to be snarky to the comments above and say what I really wanted to say, but I think we get enough of that. We need encouragement and support. We just need to know that we are not alone. We need to learn to educate others by showing our love and passion for our kids.

We all baby wear for many different reasons. Bonding, economical, high needs or special needs child, have more than one child, for health, the list can go on.

No matter what your reason is don't let people discourage you or put you down. Even if you are a first timer or seasonal you know why you are doing what you do.  I am lucky to have great husband, that when I got the comment “Shame on you for putting baby on your back”, he came running over to my defense and spoke up (I was about in tears). As a parent we want to do what is best for our child and for that split second someone had me doubting that, and this was me wearing baby number 5! Now that I have a great group with the FWBW, I have found my voice (so did my husband) and now I educate people. I hand out cards to older people and younger people so they can see their blog and read more on it, and who knows they may give that card to someone else that needs help.

So wear your baby/child and march forward moms and dads. Take the comments and questions with stride and teach everyone how great baby wearing can be....besides what on earth could possibly be better than having your favorite person within easy gazing, snuggling, sniffing and kissing distance?

1 comment:

  1. Not to mention all the multi-tasking you can do when your hands are free! I love my baby-wearing daughter and think her children have benefitted greatly from ridin' on their parents! Gooma

    ReplyDelete