Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Piece Of My Childhood RIP Maurice Sendak

Within minutes of posting about baby wearing, I was notified of the death of Maurice Sendak.  To many he is know for "Where the Wild Things Are", because of the movie that came out in 2009. 
I fortunately was introduced to him by my mother at a young age.  While reading about his death of a stroke, thoughts of my mother reading the books came to mind.  I giggled about Mickey swimming in the nude in a bottle of milk.  What girl at any age doesn't giggle at that?  Then I quickly thought of the book "Outside Over There" and how I tried to get the goblins to take my little sister away. Let's not forget "The Sign on Rosie's Door"  that made me think everybody had a secret to tell.   Last, would be "Where the Wild Things Are". I had the fortune of introducing this book to two of my kids before the movie came out.  What kid didn't feel like Max?  Being a mother now, I saw the book from a whole new light.  I saw each of my kids in this story and me. 
So, we now say good bye to a great literary writer of our times.  As his story ends, I hope he knows the many joys his moralistic dark writing did bring us.
Good bye, Mr. Sendak, may you now forever be in the joy of your books.

No comments:

Post a Comment