Thursday, January 19, 2012

Lego (Aspie) Land

So over the 4 day holiday weekend we went to Lego Land Discovery Center Dallas (thanks for the gift mom).  I have read from many other blogs how great Lego Land DC Dallas would be so great for one of my sons (Jarrett), because of his Aspergers.   I really didn't know what to expect when going to Lego Land.  My older son thought it was going to be like Six Flags.  It is not, my husband had the best description of it, a over sized McDonalds Play ground.  Kids of all sizes are running around while most of the parents are sitting on benches playing with their palm sized computers (not even to take pictures). As I tried to allow Jack (1yr) to play and be his monster self by tearing down towers of foam Legos, Ashlynn (3 yrs) weaved in and out of the array of children and sitting parents and got LOST!!  Luckily there is a guard at the exit who found another worker who walked to circle with Ashlynn to find me, but I was looking for her by this time because another parent who was paying attention better than I was, saw my daughter run off and came to get me. So as I gather Jack and Allie (6 yrs) to collect Ashlynn from lost and found I quickly scan for Jarrett.  Jarrett is over at Lego Racers.  OK.
As Justin and I switch shifts, I go enjoy a couple of times around the one true ride, Merlins Apprentice, with my oldest son (hey if this is what I have to do to have a moment with him I am taking it).  We come off the ride and I do quick scan, Husband (Check), Kids (Check) and Jarrett is at Lego Racers.
We spend a little time at the race cars, with even me building a couple and loosing.  As I stood there watching my husband doing a head count every couple of minutes, J.T. being a smart butt, Jarrett getting more and more detailed with his cars, the girls are trying to do anything and everything to keep up with their brothers and Jack is now back packing it on Justin, I see a child with a set of head phones on.  I kind of stare at him, watching him build a building that will survive an earthquake.  He is very methodical in building his building, he would build a little then shake it (to make sure it was sturdy), build a little more and shake it again.  It wasn't just that, it was the colors and layers he is using to build his building.  My Aspie-dar goes off.  As I start looking around among the chaos I see it, I see Aspie Land.  OH and Jarrett is still at Lego Racers.
I will have to say that I was slightly shocked at how well Jarrett did among the crowd and noise at LLDC. The only thing that would have made it even better for him would have been some Star Wars Lego display.  As I think about it then we would really have a Lego (Aspie) Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment