Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Being Over Connected, But Under Connected.

   The world of technology is changing everyday.  There is always something newer, faster and better.  Computers are getting smaller and faster.  Tablets are now all the rage from now taking over POS (Point of Sale) Systems, to showing presentations and being the one stop for all your home remotes.  With a phone, you can hold bank accounts, chats, quick e-mail messages in your hands.

   Is all this technology really helping us with the customers?  Sometimes we (business owners) take for granted that the customer may be as connected as we are.  If they are, I don't think they want to communicate with us in that way.

   Let me tell you about an experience that I had with a local lawn company with communication.  Now I will state that the lawn company sends out text reminders about when they come by and payment due dates.  That is totally fine with me.  I will say though that I wish the reminders didn't come at 7p-10p the night before they come out. Any notifications should be sent about 36-48 hours before for this situation.  No notifications after 5p, that just seems lazy and very unprofessional.  The last two weeks my lawn guys have shown up a day late, after the original text stating that they will be there.  After wondering why the lawn has not been done by 6p, I get a little annoyed again that they are not there.  At about 8p there is text from them stating that they had an emergency earlier in the week and they are behind and will be there tomorrow.  Fine, whatever, ok.  So they come and do my lawn in a very unprofessional way (not going to list what all went wrong).  Well my darling husband was quite upset with some issues and the fact they were late again, so he called.  He got a TEXT back saying, "Busy working.  What do you need?"  Well my first thought was listen to your message because you would know what I need.  Needless to say we are dropping them do to lack of communication.

  As a customer with them it really opened my eyes to how some businesses take for granted the technology we have at hand.  It it not there to make our business flow better and provide better customer service not lack of?  Some business now don't even list a number for you to call for customer service.  You can online chat, email, SMS and fax. So much can be lost in a text, e-mail or chat.  A customer may be upset and when reading your message take it on the defense. 

  As a business owner my number is still listed on my website, business cards, invoices and business profile on Facebook.  My customers know I care.

   If you are a consumer how do you like to communicate?

No comments:

Post a Comment